- 1 large sweet potato, baked whole (approximately 1 cup once cooked)
- 1/2 cup chickpeas, cooked and coarsely mashed
- 1/4 cup kalamata olives, sliced
- 1/4 cup roasted red bell peppers, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp red onion, finely minced
- 3 tbsp fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup dry rolled oats, ground into meal
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1/8 tsp cayenne, or to taste
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 tsp salt (optional)
To prepare the burger mixture, in a mixing bowl, toss together all ingredients except the oats, pressing the potato until the mixture begins to bind. If the mixture is a bit too moist, add some of the rolled oats — they will help to absorb a bit of the excess moisture. You will likely need all of the oats, but not necessarily, so just add them a bit at a time until the burger holds together slightly when gently squeezed in your hand.
To bake the burgers, place them into a pre-heated 400°F (205°C) oven.
Form the mixture into burger size patties, or into small sliders, and place on a lightly–sprayed baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes, flip and continue baking for an additional 5 to 8 minutes, or until both sides are golden.
Assemble, eat, repeat.